Can I Reduce My Spousal Support Payments?

The spousal support order that was initially issued when you divorced your spouse may have been appropriate at the time, but your financial circumstances might have changed as time went on. Whether your situation or your former spouse’s situation changed, you can request a modification to your support payments to ensure you are not paying more than you reasonably should.

If you have a somewhat amicable relationship with your former spouse, consider having a conversation about reducing your spousal support payments. Reaching an agreement together will be far easier than taking the matter to court. That said, you should still ensure these changes are approved by the court to ensure you can enforce it and will not run into any legal troubles in the future.

Petitioning the Court for Changes

If you are unable to agree to a modification, your next option is to take the matter to court. Generally, a judge will only grant a modification of a spousal support order if there was a significant change in your finances or the finances and situation of your former spouse.

Here are some examples:

  • You involuntary became unemployed or received a reduction in income
  • You developed a medical condition or disability that prevents you from continuing to work
  • Your former spouse remarried or is cohabitating with a new partner
  • Your former spouse received a significant increase in pay

If you are only experiencing a temporary emergency, a judge may grant you a temporary modification of your spousal support order until you are able to resume your usual payment obligations.

Whatever the circumstances may be, it is crucial to act fast. You cannot simply stop making spousal support payments, so reach out to an attorney as soon as possible to get the process started.

Contact a Knowledgeable Attorney to Reduce Your Support Payments Today

If you cannot keep up with your spousal support payments or your former spouse’s situation changed so substantially that you believe the order should be modified, you need to retain skilled legal counsel to petition the court for a reduction. At Orshan, Spann & Fernandez-Mesa, Family Law Attorneys, our legal team has the experience and knowledge to provide the exceptional legal support and guidance you need to achieve your goals. You can rely on us to ensure you understand your legal options and take the best course of action for your circumstances.

Do not hesitate to reach out to our team today! Call our law office at (305) 853-9161 or fill out an online contact form to request an initial consultation and discuss the details of your spousal support modification case.