Robert D. Orshan, Esquire is founder and managing partner of Orshan, Spann & Fernandez-Mesa. Mr. Orshan focuses his practice on complex family and matrimonial law litigation, including, but not limited to, divorce, child custody, division of assets, child support, alimony, relocation, modification and enforcement proceedings, paternity and appellate law.
Mr. Orshan has been recognized as a “Top Lawyer” by the South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Attorney In Florida” by the Miami Herald, “AV Preeminent Rated” by Martindale-Hubbell and as a “Super Lawyer”. He has extensive experience in the practice and litigation of marital and family law before state courts and in resolving cases through mediation.
“I have been where you are now. I understand the complexities of divorce first-hand and empathize with the feelings and difficulties you are experiencing. I was also a client, so I have a unique perspective as a family law attorney.”
His involvement in numerous civic and legal organizations include: KidSide (a non- profit organization devoted to supporting Family Court Services), Cuban American Bar Association (CABA), Temple Beth Am, American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Dave and Mary Alper Jewish Community Center, Florida International University’s Law Center Dean’s Counsel and various other institutions. He has also lectured at the “Nuts & Bolts of Family Law Seminar” by Dade Legal Aid; the “Do’s and Don’ts in Expert Testimony” for the Greater Miami Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers; on “Pre-Nuptial Agreements” to the Florida Board of Accountancy; and he has been a guest lecturer on Family Law at Florida International University’s College of Law. He previously served as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Miami Springs, City of Golden Beach, Opa-Locka, and Hialeah Gardens. Born and raised in Miami, Mr. Orshan is the proud father of four children and one step-son and four grandchildren. He currently lives in South Miami with his wife, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida and former Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge, Ariana Fajardo Orshan.
Mr. Orshan was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1980, and was admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in 1981. He is a member of the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, Florida First Family Law American Inn of Court, Dade County Bar Association, American Bar Association, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and the Collaborative Family Law Institute. He graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Tulane University in 1977 and cum laude with a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Miami in 1980.
Awards & Recognition
- 40th Anniversary; Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
- Super Lawyer; SuperLawyers, 2010-2020
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 Peer Review Rated; Martindale-Hubbell, 2011, 2020
- AV Preeminent Attorney; Martindale-Hubbell, 2013, 2015-2020
- AV Preeminent Attorney - Judicial Edition; Martindale-Hubbell, 2011, 2017-2019
- America's Most Honored Professionals - Top 1%; The American Registry, 2016-2019
- Lawyers.com AV Preeminent; Lawyers.com, 2018-2019
- Top Attorneys in Florida; Miami Herald, 2013-2015, 2017-2019
- 35th Anniversary; Martindale-Hubbell; 2015
- Top Rated Lawyer in Family Law; Martindale-Hubbell; 2015
- Top Rated Lawyer in Litigation; Martindale-Hubbell; 2015
- America's Most Honored Professionals - Top 5%; The American Registry, 2014-2015
- 15th Anniversary - AV Preeminent for 15 Years; Martindale-Hubbell; 2014
- Top Lawyers in South Florida; South Florida Legal Guide, 2007-2011