Stack of coins on table

When Does Spousal Support End?

Types of Spousal Support

If you are paying spousal support to your ex, you might wonder if there are circumstances that would allow you to end those payments. The ability to terminate spousal support typically depends on what kind of support you are ordered to pay. In Florida, there are four types of spousal support.

Rehabilitative Spousal Support

Rehabilitative spousal support provides an ex with support until he/she is able to acquire the skills or education necessary to get a job that provides self-sustaining income. This is the most common type of spousal support in Florida.

Durational Spousal Support

Durational spousal support is, like its name suggests, payments that last for a specific period of time. In Florida, durational support payments cannot last longer than the time of the marriage. For example, if a marriage lasted for six years, then spousal support payments cannot last longer than six years.

“Bridge-the-Gap” Spousal Support

Florida is one of the few states that can order what is known as “bridge-the-gap” support. This type of support is very short-term and helps the recipient meet immediate needs while transitioning back to life as a single person.

Permanent Spousal Support

While rare, there are some instances where a judge may determine a permanent spousal support order. As its name implies, permanent support lasts from the date of the order and is issued in the event that a recipient is deemed unable to sustain a stable future income.

Can Spousal Support End?

Unless a spousal support order is adjusted by a judge after a petition is filed, the only circumstance that would end any type of spousal support is if the recipient legally remarries or dies. The person paying spousal support would no longer be required to make any payments the moment a legal remarriage is official, and he/she would not need to seek an additional court order.

Seeking Modification

If you are struggling with making your spousal support payments, know that you have options and can seek a modification to your payment amount. The team at Orshan, Spann & Fernandez-Mesa can help you present your case and seek a lower amount. Contact us today at (305) 853-9161 to speak with our team about your situation.